On September 28, 2013 over 200 women will gather to learn how to
“Break The Glass Ballot”
and get more women elected to local positions and commissions.
Mark your calendars and join us!
The US ranks 87th in the world in representation of elected women at the national level with the number declining for the first time in 30 years — here in Santa Cruz, there are no women serving at the County Supervisor level.
It’s time to increase women’s participation in local politics.
Come learn from those who’ve run before and those currently serving as elected officials. Get smart about how we support, encourage and elect more women to County positions. Breaking the Glass Ballot will offer inspiration, the nuts and bolts of running, skills building, positioning and platform advice, and an overview of what seats and appointments are open. Come whether you’re thinking of running or want to actively support women in local politics. Panel discussions and breakouts will feature local and regional politicians, appointees, campaign managers, fundraising experts and political action groups.
Featured speakers and panelists include:
Keynote: Mary Hughes, political strategist, former campaign manager for Joe Simitian, founder of Close the Gap California
Kathy Bisbee, Downtown Santa Cruz Commissioner
Hilary Bryant, Santa Cruz Mayor
Karina Cervantez, Watsonville City Council
Tory DelFavero, Soquel Unified School Board
Carol Fuller, active political organizer and campaigner
Stephanie Harlan, Capitola City Council
Sheila Delany, Chair of the Women’s Commission, Santa Cruz County
Pat Manning, campaign manager
Cynthia Mathews, Santa Cruz City Councilwoman
Maria Orozco, Pajaro Valey Unified District School Board Member
Gail Pellerin, Elections Clerk
Jane Weed Pomerantz, former Santa Cruz Mayor
Ariadne Symons, Judge
Ana Ventura-Phares, former Watsonville Mayor
September 28, 2013
10:00 am – 3:00 pm (Registration opens at 9:00)
3:00-5:00pm – Networking Reception
View the full detailed schedule on our Event Page
Location: Cabrillo College – Horticultural Center
Cost: $30 (Scholarships available. No one will be turned away for lack of funds)
Interested in supporting Breaking the Glass Ballot?
Here are a few things you can do now:
- Help us get the word out by posting our EVENT info to your FB page and your email contacts. Content below.
- If you know of a woman who has been thinking about running for office or is interested in sitting on a committee, talk to her about attending the event. Consider putting together a team of women that would be interested in supporting her and get them to the event on September 28th.
- If you are part of a group that would be interested in this event, please forward our EVENT content below to the group and request that they send the copy to their group lists or post the information to their sites. If you do this, please let us know by ccing firstname.lastname@example.org or following up with us so we don’t send multiple asks.
- Add www.breakingtheglassballot.org to your email signature.
- Contribute $ to the scholarship fund to support women in attending the event who will be requesting scholarships. No one will be turned away for lack of funds.
- If you are interested in volunteering, please contact us at email@example.com. Specific needs are shuttle drivers with vans, resource team for event flash drives, setup, lunch, reception and cleanup.